Sauerkraut is actually sour cabbage or cabbage that has been fermented, and it has many health benefits which are scientifically proven.
You can add it to your diet since it contains significant levels of vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, various B vitamins, and it is also a great source of manganese, magnesium, calcium, iron, sodium and copper.
Here are the following benefits of sauerkraut that will help you to:
- Protect against certain cancer,
- Strenghten your bones
- Stimulates your immune system
- Eliminate inflammation
- Reduce your overall cholesterol levels,
- Improve your vision and skin health,
- Improve your digestive health,
- Improve your heart health,
- Improve the circulation,
- Sauercraut for weight loss
Consuming fermented food such as sauerkraut has positive effects on the metabolism. According to newest studies, cabbage fermentation promotes the inflammatory process, lipid metabolism and obesity.
- Sauerkraut For Stronger and Healthier Heart
Sauekraut improves the heart and brain health since it is rich in fiber, and here are some of the health benefits of fiber:
- Sauerkraut controls the bad cholesterol levels
- It improves digestion
- It reduces the risk of arteriosclerosis
- It also reduces the risk of a stroke or a heart attack.
- Sauerkraut for stronger bones
Sauerkraut is very beneficial for bones and their health since it is rish in minerals. It has the ability to prevent osteoporosis due to its vitamin K. The vitamin also helps to regulate the production of proteins, which are necessary for maintaining bones mineralization.
- Sauerkraut is Rich in vitamin C
The deficiency of vitamin C can cause scurvy, so sauerkraut is an effective cure agains this desease due to its abundance in vitamin C.
- Sauerkraut Prevents Cancer
Sauerkraut is one of the top foods for cancer prevention due to these 3 compounds:
- Isothiocyanate-has powerful anti-cancer properties
- Flavonoids protect the arteries from narrowing down and against damage
- Glucosionolate-activates tha natural antioxidant enzymes in the body.
- Sauerkraut is a Probiotic
After taking antibiotics, it is recomended to take sauerkraut since natural fermentation of these vegetables help in providing good bacteria in your intestines.
How To Make Your Own Sauerkraut?
The best thing to do is to prepare your own sauerkraut since the one that is sold in the stores has been heated to a point in which all the beneficial bacteria have been killed off.
If you want to prepare it on your own, just follow theese simple instructions:
Ingredients you need:
- Few large, green cabbages
- 2 tbsp of unrefined sea salt.
First core the cabbages and shred the rest (you can use a food processor). After that, take a large bowl and put the cabbages in it and add some salt. Knead them with your hands in order to break a cellular structure of the cabbage and until they become soft. Then, pack it into a vegetable fermenter or sauerkraut crock as tightly as possible. If you don’t have one, you can place the cabbage in a glass jar and using your fist, pack them down. The cabbage should be submerged in liquid, so keep pounding it with a wooden spoon. This is very important since the key to food fermentation is that it need to be below the liquid. If they are exposed to air, the chances of them to become contaminated by mold,stray and yeast microbes is increased. After the pounding, you should cover it loosely and put it on a room temperature so it can begin the fermentation process. It usualy lasts from 1 to 6 months. You should test it every couple of days, and once it is ready, store it in the fridge for up to six months.
The process is very simple, and once it’s done, you can enjoy in consuming sauerkraut. If you liked this article, you can share it with your friends and family. Thank you!