Every person in the world has different sleeping habits – some of them are good while others will disrupt your sleep. Here are the bedtime habits you should avoid:
- Drinking water before going to bed is a big no-no – this will only make you get up 2-3 times a night to pee and disrupt your sleep.
- Never take midday naps. Stick to your sleeping routine so your brain can shut down properly and you can fall asleep faster.
- Keep electronic devices away from your bed – scrolling through your tablet or phone before going to bed won’t do you any good. Try to avoid using electronic devices at least an hour before going to bed, as the brightness from the screens will keep your brain “on” and disrupt your sleep. If you must use your laptop, at least keep the brightness down.
- Reading a book before going to bed is also a habit you should avoid. Read it a little earlier in order to fall asleep fast.
- Avoid putting a bright alarm clock on your bed table. The light from the screen will disturb you all night and make you toss and turn, which will leave you without energy in the morning.
- Mattresses are expensive, we admit, but buying a cheap mattress will result in low-quality sleep and devour your energy. Save some money for a while and get a quality mattress like you deserve.
- Eat your dinner at least 2 hours before going to bed. When you go to sleep with a full stomach, you will have trouble falling asleep as the digestion process will keep your body awake.
- Exercise regularly to feel fresh and energized, but avoid doing exercises at least 3 hours before going to bed.
- When your feet are cold, you’ll have trouble falling asleep fast. Warm your feet before going to bed or wear socks to get proper rest.
- Set up a bedtime routine to make your brain learn when it’s time to sleep. Go to the bathroom, brush your teeth, wash your face then go to bed and your mind will be ready.
- Avoid drinking coffee at least 4 hours before going to bed. Caffeine boosts your metabolism and keeps you awake, so avoid having a cuppa Joe before going to bed.
- Choose a good sleeping position so you won’t have a sore shoulder or back in the morning. Try sleeping on the left side – a lot of experts consider this position the best one for sleeping.